Marine Thrift Shop
CONTRIBUTED BY MARIE LEWIS
I am a lover of all things thrifty. I consider myself a scavenger and I balk at the idea of paying full retail price for almost anything. When I’m going to the thrift store, I can leave the house with $20.00 in my pocket, confident that I won’t need a penny more (and that’s on the high end of my spending.)
Here’s why I love the Marine Thrift Shop:
1. EVERYTHING is cheap. Dirt cheap. We’re talking $1.00 for a shirt. I bought a new-looking blouse here for a buck. The SAME blouse I saw earlier at the PX for $20.00. BAM!
2. The volunteers keep the place very organized. Yes, they are volunteers. And yes, the store is neatly divided into sections like housewares, women’s and men’s clothing, books and games, sporting goods, infant/baby items, etc.
3. Re-use is environmentally friendly. It just is.
4. Every trip is like a treasure hunt. Sure, you have to be patient to find something you want to take home, but those hidden gems are worth the time. The Marine Corps Ball dress I wore last year? Found it here. For $15. SCORE! It was J. Crew, 100% silk, and after I paid a few more dollars to have it dry cleaned and hemmed, it looked as good as new!
5. Store profits are re-invested back into the military community. The Marine Thrift Store helps support the Single Marine Program, Boy & Girl Scouts, Young Marines, JROTC, AmerAsian School, and OAARS.
Of course, there are always going to be items that have seen better days, but those items often present fun refurbishing opportunities! Some days I just go to browse with a few dollars in my pocket, and I might only spend 50 cents on a scarf (as I did during my last trip.)
Shopping Hours: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Saturdays.
Donation Hours: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Saturdays.
Payment: Cash (U.S. dollars)
Address: CAMP FOSTER, BUILDING 5691
Directions: Entering Camp Foster from the commissary gate, turn right in between the gas station and the playing fields. Once you pass the playing fields, you will start to go slightly uphill, and building 5691 will be on your LEFT. Turn into the parking lot in the back of the building. The entrance is located in the center of the building, in the back. (The drop-off location for donations is to the left of the main entrance, at the end of the building.)
Directions from the shop’s website: Turn in front of the Camp Foster Gas Station and proceed up the hill. We are located across the street from the Camp Foster Parade Field and down the hill from IPAC in building 5691.
Website: Marine Thrift Shop