How it Works
We've all got something to share about our Okinawan experience that would make someone else's experience three inches better. When you have eaten at that restaurant, shopped at that store, experienced that experience, done that thing that you can't stop talking about then THAT is the moment to share. Each post is a submission from you, our readers. Okinawa Hai runs solely on Submission Power, which is to say it runs on posts you write with your most generous spirit. We post it for the world to behold and then the world runs out to eat, shop, do or learn all because of you and your awesomeness.
So you want to write but you can't figure out what to write about? We've got a list of the posts we need (as well as what we've already got in the works) HERE. Or hang out in one of our online communities to find the questions everyone is asking and see if you have the perfect answer.
We have four categories for submission. Let's get to know them, shall we?
To Eat: Stumbled on a fabulous new taco joint? An umbrella drink bar with a view? A cafe with first-rate miso soup? Figured out how to make soba at home from the items you discovered at Kanehide?
To Do: Found a place to learn to play Taiko drums? Discovered the ultimate arcade for little and big kiddos? Just want to share that groovy thing you do?
To Shop: Did you find Anpanman hair clips? A place that sells shoes big enough for your American feet? Did you find that elusive food item you'd thought you'd have to give up during your time here?
To Learn: Tell us what YOU have learned because of Okinawa and her people. Bring your heart-warming, embarrassing, quirky and life-altering tales to our community. Did you solve the mystery of the electric toilet seat symbols? Learn about next week's festival from your Japanese neighbor? Do you have a series of photos that illustrate an Oki-Adventure? Did you meet an Okinawan or an expat whose story should be shared? Feel free to write us and float your ideas by us at email@example.com.
Occasionally we will solicit posts from other categories as we see the need. If you have something to say but aren't sure if it's what we're looking for, contact our Submissions Manager and ask.
What Posts Are and Are Not
- about your personal experiences, so use your beautiful voice.
- inclusive of the details so that we can go try it, eat it, get it and do it just like you did.
- about places or events or things that make you feel good.
- respectful towards Japanese and Okinawan culture.
- long enough to cover your topic thoroughly.
- better with your pictures.
- well-written and spell-checked.
Posts are not...
- negative reviews of any place or thing.
- advertisements. Writing about a place is obviously good advertising, but no self-promotion, kudasai.
- boring. Give us some spunk, pretty please.
- repeats of posts we already have (unless it is CLEARLY in need of an update).
- plagiarized from anyone or any place. If you have a personal blog that you've written a post on and would like to share here, that's acceptable.
- FAME! Writers contributing 10 or more posts will have their photo and bio added to our "About Us" page.
- FORTUNE! Want to finance your CC Lemon habit? Your Cocok's mani/pedi visit? Your soba addiction? Writers receive $15 per accepted post.
- KARMA! Good things come to people who share what they know and love. What goes around comes around.
- BUMPER STICKERS! If we publish a post you've written you'll get a great bumper sticker, as seen HERE.