Living overseas has its challenges, and a commonly agreed upon one is finding that perfect place to live. To help those of us who are curious about the different options for living on Okinawa, readers have answered some of the most frequently asked questions about on-base housing. If you live in an off-base house that has not yet been featured on this site, please contact our Submissions Manager for the template.
Here’s a great link to access, too, if you’re on the fence as to whether to live on-base or off-base.
CONTRIBUTED BY KATHRYN
- (The photos are from the day we began to move in, so it is a great to see what the place looks like brand new. One photo of the LR, one photo of the master bedroom and one photo of the front porch.)
1. What is the name of the city where you reside? Chatan
- What is the general area (i.e. North Island, Central Island, South Island)? Central
- Is there a special name that is associated with your area? (i.e. Sunabe Seawall, Naval Kadena, Kadena Town, etc.) Chatan cho
- What is the nearest military base near your home? KAB
- What is the approximate driving time from your home to the nearest military base? 5 minutes
- What DODDS school district is your home in? Is there a schoolbus system available? BHPS,AES,KHS yes
- What is the nearest interstate near your home? Route 23
- Please describe the “feel” of your neighborhood (i.e. pet-friendly, child-friendly, safety, pre-dominantly “American” or “Japanese”, urban, rural, etc.) My neighborhood is pre-dominantly japanese. I have one american neighbor. A great park very nearby with many children playing. Very friendly locals and very welcoming.
- Are there places of service in your neighborhood w/in walking distance such as restaurants, grocery stores, coffee shops, laundromats, parks, bakeries, etc.? We are right next door to a 100 Yen Store YIPEE! Also there is a Taco Rice and Pizza shop on the 1st floor of our building! YUMMY!
- Please describe the style of your home (i.e. Westernized, traditional Japanese, detached family home, townhome, apartment, etc.) Americanized Modern Apartment
- Please provide general information about your home such as square footage, number of bedrooms and baths, the rent, and any special amenities. We have a large LR, 3 bedrooms and 2 full BR’s. The MBdR is enormous, it could fit 2 king size beds and has a large walk in closet and we also have a dishwasher.
- Are there any special accomodations or tasks that you’ve had to do to make your home useful such as purchasing transformers, appliances, etc.? We have base issued washer and dryer.
- Are there special fees associated with living off-base? Trash Pick-Up Fees
- How is parking provided for your home? We have one covered parking and one additional marked parking spot that is uncovered.
- Is there any yard space or outdoor spaces provided for your home? We have a balcony, no yard.
- What do you feel is special about your home or neighborhood – what makes it feel like “home” here on Okinawa? The great park that is so close.
- How do you pay the bills for utilities? GI BILL PAY
- What housing agency did you utilize to find your current home? TAKUZATO
- Are you satisfied with the maintenance services provided by your housing agency? yes
- Finally, what advantages and disadvantages do you feel have been your experience living off-base here on Okinawa? So far I have found NO disdvantages to living off base. We have been on Okinawa for over 5 yrs and we have lived both on and off base. I HUGELY PREFER LIVING OFF BASE!
If you live in on-base housing OR off-base housing that has not been featured on Okinawa Hai, or in housing that has been renovated since its last post, please contact our Content Manager for the on-base housing template and instructions on how to share your little slice of Okinawa with the rest of us.