3. It’s pronounced ab-a-cus. Say that thirteen times after a few spiked egg-nogs.
4. It was originally invented by the Chinese in 3000 BC. Jesus must have been proud.
5. The “bead slider” can conveniently be labeled as an “abacist”. That sounds nothing short of formidable. Try that as a facebook title.
6. If you want to see it “live” go for sushi at Su-Su-Soon
(the cashier is a bead slider). Amazing.
So if you’ve got bored kids that are off a few weeks this holiday season- put them up to a challenge.
Here it goes:
1. Find all of the yen change that you can (under car seat, bottom of purse, pretty much everywhere- especially those pesky 1 cent bendable coins). Don’t they seem fake?
2. Line them up in numerical order.
3. Count how much money on the abacus.
4. If you are successful- you are an accomplished abacist! Now that’s a bumper sticker for your family van.