CONTRIBUTED BY SARAH PEVEHOUSE & HEIDI BREDLOW
Come run with us! WOOP! WOOP!
Wait, what was that? W.O.O.P.? Yeah, that’s right – Women On Okinawa Pavement!
WOOP is a group that was formed in September of 2011 by Sarah Pevehouse and has since taken Okinawa by storm! This is an amazing group of women that love to run, be healthy, and active! The reasons we run are as varied and unique as the women that call WOOP their own.
Why run with WOOP?
Because running with a group of fun, chatty, liked minded women helps to foster camaraderie and builds long lasting friendships. What better way to get in shape and achieve your fitness goals than with a group of friends, motivators, and beautiful women?
WOOP is the exclamation point on the road to achieving your goals this year!
Did you make a New Year’s Resolution to get in shape? Maybe you just want to make new friends while trying something new… OR are you already a runner and looking to find new place and faces to run with? Well, WOOP is the group for you!
Where do you WOOP?
Afraid your location prevents you from running with WOOP? Don’t sweat it, we have strategically infiltrated the island! Since September (2011) the group has gown to over 260 members – with several women stepping up and leading runs from their areas we have almost all the bases covered on this island with WOOP groups!
To date WOOP has met on Kinser, Futenma, Foster, Comprehensive Park, Lester, Araha Beach, Sunabe Seawall, Kadena, Mihama, and even Okuma!
Don’t let your location prevent you from running with us. Or the time… we run in the early morning hours, the afternoon, and occasionally the evenings too. We get WOOP as often as our schedules permit.
WOOP uses Facebook for their event postings and their main resource for communications. Just click “join” to be added to the group and you’ll automatically receive updates on the events happening island wide.
Still not convinced WOOP is for you?
Is running still in the infancy stage in your life and you’re just not sure you’ll fit in? Does running with a group of seasoned runners intimidate you?
Is running your passion? Does your day feel incomplete if you don’t get a run in?
Or, are you somewhere in the middle? You enjoy running (or at least want to try it) but you’re no marathoner?
HAVE NO FEAR!
WOOP accommodates every fitness level. There are runs posted at least twice a week on our FB page that speaks to the majority of women. With slower paces and shorter distances for these group runs. AND we always start and finish the runs as a group! No one is ever left on their own.
Not ready to make the commitment to running? Maybe you want to start out with a walk/jog/walk routine – never fear, we have a group for you!
Training for that marathon and need to get the miles in? We have a group for you!
Have little ones or dogs that you usually take with you? Then bring them to WOOP – we encourage all runners to “come as you are!” So bring that dog (on a leash) and the jogger!
Why do you run with WOOP?
(Hear from some of our members)
• “I run with WOOP because I’ve made great friends that motivate me, rally me, and appreciate the fact that I show up!” – Sarah P.
• “I run with WOOP because it’s fun and they are so freakin’ AWESOME!” – Charleen M.
• “I run with WOOP because knowing someone is counting on me to show up helps get me out of bed in the morning.” – Heidi B.
• I run with WOOP because of the wonderful ladies that run with me. I have no doubt that once our running shoes are taken off that I can count on them to be by my side.” – Judy O.
• “Running with WOOP has helped me quit turning my alarm off in the morning and going back to sleep (sometimes)!” Laurie W.
• “I run with WOOP because I love yelling WOOP! WOOP! When we’ve accomplished another amazing run together!” – Heidi B.
• “I run with WOOP because I’m worth it!” – Sarah P.
• I run with WOOP because of the sisterhood I have with each of these ladies. We share life on and off the pavement.” – Shirley T.
WOOP – COME RUN WITH US!